3B2 crashes mysteriously

Jim Greenlee jkg at prism.gatech.EDU
Thu Oct 18 15:11:11 AEST 1990

I have a 3B2/310 that is crashing at seemingly random times (sometimes
daily) due to a kernel MMU fault. This machine is on a local area network
that has about 8 other 3B2s that are connected via RFS. We are running SVR
3.2 and WIN TCP/IP 3.0.1 (which we're using as the netspec for RFS). Only
one of the machines is exhibiting this trouble - the rest have been up for
a month with no problems. Another department here on campus is having the
same problem with a 3B2/1000, only less frequently (once every 3-4 weeks).

I have tried swapping a different machine in and checking the network cabling.
Everything appears to be working properly. I can't really pin the problem
down to any specific situation, but it seems to be happening when someone
is logged in from a terminal that is connected directly to the PORTS card.
Logging in from the console or via rlogin/telnet doesn't seem to cause
problems (this is purely speculation on my part, and may not be the cause
of the trouble).

I seem to remember seeing a posting a while back that mentioned a possible
bug in the kernel that would cause this. My recollection is that a fix is
available from the Hotline, but I haven't called them yet (I'm planning to
do that tomorrow). In the meantime, could anybody shed any light on this
problem for me? Thanks.

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg at cc.gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!