3B2 crashes mysteriously

W M Brelsford wmb at ulysses.att.com
Tue Oct 23 22:17:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct22.164803.24643 at sapphire.idbsu.edu>, jahn at sapphire.idbsu.edu (Greg Jahn) writes:
> Don't bet on it (hotine support answers).  We are experiencing the same
> KERNEL MMU FAULT (F_ACCESS) problem.  We run a 3B2/600 SVR3.2.2, TCP/IP
> 3.0.1.  Our system was failing sometimes DURING going to 'init 3', and
> other times at most 15 minutes after coming up.

We've been suffering with this problem (F_ACCESS) too, but it only
seems to occur when trying to access a system (via rlogin, rcp, etc.)
that is currently down.  And in such cases it always happens -- rather
than reporting "Connection timed out", it waits about 2 minutes and
crashes.  So we're very careful to comment out /etc/hosts lines for
systems that go down -- we have a daemon doing it.

We're running SVR3.1 with an older version of TCP/IP.  We were hoping
our upcoming upgrade to both would fix it..

Bill Brelsford
AT&T, Basking Ridge NJ
wmb at joplin.att.com