Strange disk activity on PC 6300 Plus

Scott Horne horne-scott at CS.YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 8 08:55:29 AEST 1990

Lately there have been strange sounds and hard-disk activity on my 6300 Plus.
First, the fan slows down, as when the machine is turned off.  Then the disk
starts spinning as it does when the machine is booted.  (This occurs when I'm
not doing anything with the disk, such as right now [there it goes again],
when I'm just using a modem program.)  But it doesn't crash or reboot or
anything.

What could be going on?  My guess is that it's not getting enough electricity.
Is the machine self-destructing?  (If it is, don't tell me.  :-) )  Any
suggested diagnosis or treatment?  Even if nothing is wrong with the machine,
this is annoying, and it's probably wearing the hard disk away.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne at cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520