my BNU uucp babbles to itself

John Wilkes wilkes at mips.COM
Sat Sep 8 07:54:23 AEST 1990

In article <418 at yonder.UUCP> michael at yonder.UUCP (Michael E. Haws) writes:
>In article <270 at hico2.UUCP>, kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>>
>> Problem is, my uucp babbles to itself before it
>> gets out a successful call.  The first try always
>> fails as the modem mumbles "AT^M^M^MOK^M^M^M^MAT^M^M^MOK"
>> to itself.
>
>gettydef entry.  I recently posted this to the net and asked if
>anyone knew for sure whether or not ECHO should or should not be
>in the first set of flags, but alas there was no response.

i am not qualified to answer for sure if ECHO should or should or should
not be in the first set of flags.  what i do know is that the gettydefs
file on my system does, in fact, have ECHO in the first set of flags.

i am running a telebit trailblazer plus, and i am not using hardware flow
control.  i do not lock the interface speed.  i use the HDB uucp package
that i originally got from the STORE! (when it was alive.)  i am currently
running version 3.51m of the operating system, and previously ran version
3.51 with no problems.

this setup has worked reliably for over two years or so, with a fair amount
of dial-out activity using the cu program, a moderate amount of uucp
traffic, and until just recently virtually no dial-ins.  since having a
second line (a data line) installed about two months ago, i've had some
dialins, and still no problems.

every couple of days, the telebit leaves for iraq and must be slapped
upside the head (read power-cycled) to get it to behave.  this is, however,
a problem with the early telebits, not the unix-pc.  we used to have the
same problem with the telebits in the computer center at mips (on computers
we manufacture) before we upgraded to the newer model modem.

from my /etc/gettydefs:

H19200# EXTA BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP ECHO OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL O
POST ONLCR EXTA CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE ECHOK TAB3 #\nlogin: #H2400

from my /etc/inittab:

 000:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 tty000 H19200

i have a collection of files for setting up a trailblazer, from which i
obtained the gettydefs entry, and i'll cheerfully make them available to
anyone who wants 'em.  if the interest is high, i can make it available via
anon uucp.  better yet, maybe something like this belongs in the osu-cis
archives.  (robert j. granvin, you listening?  maybe you should send this
stuff off to lenny so he can put it in the archives?)

"works for me; your mileage may (and probably will) vary."

john wilkes  <wilkes at mips.com>