my BNU uucp babbles to itself

Michael E. Haws michael at yonder.UUCP
Fri Sep 7 13:04:12 AEST 1990

In article <270 at hico2.UUCP>, kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
> I've just installed the HDB uucp (STORE release).
> Problem is, my uucp babbles to itself before it
> gets out a successful call.  The first try always
> fails as the modem mumbles "AT^M^M^MOK^M^M^M^MAT^M^M^MOK"
> to itself.  I know I sound like that late at night, but
> that's no excuse.  Anyhow, the first call dials,
> then the relays on the telebit start riccoshaying, and
> it hangs up just as it's getting a connection.
>
> The second attempt always seems to connect with no trouble.

I had/have a similar problem on my machine.  My theory is that uugetty
is not getting out of the way fast enough and is echoing characters back
out the port and this screws up the initial dial or login attempt
to the site being called.  By the time the second dial comes around
uugetty has given up and the dial and login are successful.  What I
ended up doing, and what appears to have cleaned up __MY__ uucp/cu
problems was to remove the ECHO from the first set of flags in the
gettydef entry.  I recently posted this to the net and asked if
anyone knew for sure whether or not ECHO should or should not be
in the first set of flags, but alas there was no response.  In any
case it seemed to clean up my connections and I hope this helps in
your case.

--
Michael E. Haws             "Keep the blue side up"          w - (303) 986-2370
boulder!yonder!michael                                       h - (303) 232-0628