COMPARE -- has anyone compiled on Sys V R.3.2 ?

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Sat Sep 15 04:03:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep13.175945.24368 at cec1.wustl.edu> dale at wucs1.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) writes:
>When I compiled compress I got:
>compress.c: nnnn: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
>"compress.c", line 375: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =
>"compress.c", line 375: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
>
>where nnnn is a line number. ( there are a bunch of the first message)
>
>I do get a compiled program. When I try to run it it gets so far and then
>give a Segmentation violation -- Core dumped message. (I'm trying to
>uncompress a program). The program does leave a partial uncompressed file
>but it is not error-free. It contains some garbage.
>
>Line 375 reads:
>    if ( (bgnd_flag = signal ( SIGINT, SIG_IGN )) != SIG_IGN )
>        signal ( SIGINT, onintr );

Gosh, commenting it out is a poor way to solve the problem, why not just
find out the cause ?????  The message the compiler gave is quite clear,
it points out an error in the pointer assignment, obviously the return
type from your signal() function doesn't jibe with whatever bgnd_flag is.
I'll bet dollars to donuts your signal returns void and bgnd_flag is an int.

As for your other problem, just commenting out the text after the #else
or #endif will solve that problem.  That error doesn't stop the compile
anyway, it's just informational and clutters up the screen.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art