COMPARE -- has anyone compiled on Sys V R.3.2 ?

Dale Frye dale at wucs1.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 14 03:59:45 AEST 1990

When I compiled compress I got:
compress.c: nnnn: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
"compress.c", line 375: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =
"compress.c", line 375: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=

where nnnn is a line number. ( there are a bunch of the first message)

I do get a compiled program. When I try to run it it gets so far and then
give a Segmentation violation -- Core dumped message. (I'm trying to
uncompress a program). The program does leave a partial uncompressed file
but it is not error-free. It contains some garbage.

Line 375 reads:
    if ( (bgnd_flag = signal ( SIGINT, SIG_IGN )) != SIG_IGN )
        signal ( SIGINT, onintr );

I commented out the if statement and got rid of the error message but
no change when running the program.

Also any comments on compiling and/or using epoch on a 6386 under OPEN LOOK
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis