Bogus > 16 users

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.UUCP
Tue Sep 18 09:35:11 AEST 1990

In article <601 at oglvee.UUCP>, jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> We have some AT&T 6386 machines running AT&T UNIX V.3.2.  Every now and then
> one of these systems will take it into its head to decide more than 16 users
> are logged in, and won't let anybody but root log in.

I suggest that you call your AT&T rep, or the Data Systems Hotline
at 800 922 0354.  This is, I think, a known bug.  If you're running
ksh or some other substitute for the standard /bin/sh, then after
sixteen logins, it somehow thinks you've exceeded the license and
prevents additional logins, having neglected to subtract the logouts
that have occurred.

I think that for Sys V/386 r3.2.2, there is a disk (that came with
the foundation set when we bought it last winter) called update
number 2, which corrects this bug.  Perhaps there is a similar fix
for your version.

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave