Bogus > 16 users

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Sat Sep 15 09:12:19 AEST 1990

We have some AT&T 6386 machines running AT&T UNIX V.3.2.  Every now and then
one of these systems will take it into its head to decide more than 16 users
are logged in, and won't let anybody but root log in.  I've yet to figure out
on what evidence it does this.  At the time this happens typically *NOBODY* is
logged in.  The first thing I thought of was a corrupt /etc/utmp, but logging
in as root revealed nothing unusual from who -a.

This is pretty vexing, as the only solution I've found is a reboot.  In a way
it's kind of funny, since the machines in question have only 1 serial port.
I *do* run gettys directly on /dev/vt0{1,2}, but it's hard to see how that
could be the problem.  It doesn't happen very often, and the only thing I
can guess is that the determination of how many users are "logged in" must be
internal to init.  I *had* thought the only place that was recorded was
/etc/utmp -- but then /etc/utmp is not a good vehicle for enforcing licensing
restrictions.  :-)

Anyone else have this problem?  Any known workaround short of a reboot?
--
Jim Rosenberg             #include <disclaimer.h>      --cgh!amanue!oglvee!jr
Oglevee Computer Systems                                        /      /