Bogus > 16 users

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.ICUS.COM
Wed Sep 19 09:50:13 AEST 1990

In article <601 at oglvee.UUCP> jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
|>We have some AT&T 6386 machines running AT&T UNIX V.3.2.  Every now and then
|>one of these systems will take it into its head to decide more than 16 users
|>are logged in, and won't let anybody but root log in.  I've yet to figure out
|>on what evidence it does this.  At the time this happens typically *NOBODY* is
|>logged in.  The first thing I thought of was a corrupt /etc/utmp, but logging
|>in as root revealed nothing unusual from who -a.
|>
|>This is pretty vexing, as the only solution I've found is a reboot.  In a way
|>it's kind of funny, since the machines in question have only 1 serial port.
|>I *do* run gettys directly on /dev/vt0{1,2}, but it's hard to see how that
[...]
|>Anyone else have this problem?  Any known workaround short of a reboot?

Yes, it's a UNIX BUG!  Call AT&T and ask for the bug fix, it's free of
charge.   I believe the 1 disk update fixes other stuff, but off hand I
can't remember what.

It's the AT&T UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.2 Maintenance Update 1

For some reason if you don't use /bin/sh as the default shell, and something
else is used (like we use an application) or in a lot of cases /bin/ksh,
the operating system looses count on a 16 user license.

The other route is you can install the 16 user to unlimited user upgrade
package (AT&T charges >$1000 for this) but I have one or two still
in cellophane (never opened) for anyone who wants it for $100 + shipping.

This gets rid of all license problems, and /etc/license will report
"unlimited"

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny at icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |