my BNU uucp babbles to itself

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Sat Sep 8 09:14:31 AEST 1990

In article <270 at hico2.UUCP> kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>I've just installed the HDB uucp (STORE release).
>Problem is, my uucp babbles to itself before it
>gets out a successful call.

	As Michael Haws suggested, you might try removing the ECHO from
the 'gettydefs'.  Also, I think that HDB does not understand B19200 but
needs EXTA to run at 19200 baud.  Check the response
from '/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -c /etc/gettydefs' against the entries in
termio(7).

	I run my T19200 with T2400 as the next speed.  This allows the
modem/computer to autobaud down when incoming calls are at slower
speeds.

	Another entry in you 'gettydefs' which I question is the ISTRIP.
My thinking is that if this truly works, you would not be able to
receive compressed, eight bit files.  I leave it out of my 'gettydefs'.

>/etc/gettydefs: (was originally a single long line)
>T19200# B19200 CLOCAL BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP ECHO OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL
>BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL OPOST ONLCR B19200 CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE
>ECHOK TAB3 #login: #T19200

	I haven't got the ,M\M\m stuff to work here.  Everything seems
to operate okay without them but with CLOCAL set in the second filed of
the 'gettydefs'.

>/usr/lib/uucp/Devices:
>ACUTB tty000,M - 19200 tbfast \D
>ACU     tty000,M - 19200 tbslow \D
>hico3   tty001 - 19200 direct
>STARLAN starlan - Any STARLAN
>
>/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers:
>tbfast	=W "" A\pA\pA "" \M\dAT\r OK ATS50=255 OK ATDT\T CONNECT-\c-CONNECT \m\c
>tbslow	=W "" A\pA\pA "" \M\dAT\r OK ATS50=0 OK ATDT\T CONNECT-\c-CONNECT \m\c
>
>Note that the telebit port is locked at 19200, the beginning A's are for
>sentimental value only.  Maybe that's the problem?

	These are signals from the computer to the modem which allow the
modem to autobaud to the speed the computer is sending.  With T19200 set
in 'inittab' and S51=254 in the modem, both machine will sleep at 19200.
If a call comes in, the modem will autobaud to match the speed of the
incoming call then send breaks to the computer until it gets responses
at the correct speed.  For outgoing calls, your T2400 or whatever, will
set the computer to 2400 baud.  The "A\pA\pA\pAT" sequence is to allow
the modem to match the computer speed.

	In several recent responses, I have suggested that users get the
tstmdm.cpio.Z routine from osu-cis.  This has been there for a year or
so and I have yet to hear if anyone considers it worthwhile or not.
Included in the package are suggestion from a number of users which
should be of benefit when setting up TrailBlazers.

	It will need updating for T2500's and for other brand of modems
but I need your input as to what should be included.

	If there is no one using this, I will ask Lenny to remove it and
free up the disk space at osu.

vern
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780