my BNU uucp babbles to itself

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Wed Sep 5 12:34:27 AEST 1990

I've just installed the HDB uucp (STORE release).
Problem is, my uucp babbles to itself before it
gets out a successful call.  The first try always
fails as the modem mumbles "AT^M^M^MOK^M^M^M^MAT^M^M^MOK"
to itself.  I know I sound like that late at night, but
that's no excuse.  Anyhow, the first call dials,
then the relays on the telebit start riccoshaying, and
it hangs up just as it's getting a connection.

The second attempt always seems to connect with no trouble.

cu to external locations exibits similar behavior; cu to
the modem device ( cu -l tty000 ) connects, then hangs
up immediately.

/etc/inittab:
 000:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 tty000 T19200

/etc/gettydefs: (was originally a single long line)
T19200# B19200 CLOCAL BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP ECHO OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL
BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL OPOST ONLCR B19200 CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE
ECHOK TAB3 #login: #T19200
	uucp completely broke when I removed the CLOCAL, as somebody suggested.

/usr/lib/uucp/Devices:
ACUTB tty000,M - 19200 tbfast \D
ACU     tty000,M - 19200 tbslow \D
hico3   tty001 - 19200 direct
STARLAN starlan - Any STARLAN

/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers:
tbfast	=W "" A\pA\pA "" \M\dAT\r OK ATS50=255 OK ATDT\T CONNECT-\c-CONNECT \m\c
tbslow	=W "" A\pA\pA "" \M\dAT\r OK ATS50=0 OK ATDT\T CONNECT-\c-CONNECT \m\c

Note that the telebit port is locked at 19200, the beginning A's are for
sentimental value only.  Maybe that's the problem?

Anyhow, this has me stumped for the moment.  Any ideas?  I can always
try to install one of the packaged suggestions later, but I'm curious
about why I can't get this setup to work.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                              (201) 842-2707
       {uunet,att,rutgers}!westmark!hico2!kak  <--well-connected
		    {tsdiag,ka2qhd}!hico2!kak  <--frequent
{ssbn,zorch,zinn,ditka,daver,attdso}!hico2!kak <--every two days

      Actually, all my uucp connections
   are going to be just a little irregular
              for a while.