6310 motherboards (was: 6300 parts)

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.WESTMARK.COM
Sun Sep 23 15:00:19 AEST 1990

In article <14001 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, jkg at prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) writes:
> In article <5510 at kd4nc.UUCP> cld at kd4nc.UUCP (Charles D'Englere) writes:
> >A local company has some 6310 and 6300 Plus boards and if memory
> >serves me they want $50.00 with a 30 day warranty.

I strongly suggest that you get a copy of AT&T's Hardware Reference
Manual for the 6310, comcode 105293534.  This is available from
their Customer Information Center, 800-432-6600 and they take
credit-card orders over the phone.  This book has schematics, and
pin-outs for the connectors, and definitions for the jumpers.

The 6310 is an AT-compatible version of the 6300PLUS.  It was
designed to work with AT-style hard/floppy disk controllers such as
the Western Digital WD1003WA2, which won't fit into the buss
expansion board in the 6300 or the PLUS.  (The 6310 comes with
AT-compatible 16-bit slots.)

> From the software side, I'd be interested in knowing if the same UNIX that
> runs on the 6300+ would run on the 6310 as well. Any and all help would be
> greatly appreciated. If someone can advise me on where to get documentation
> or technical specs for this thing (particularly jumper settings), that would
> be great. Thanks.

No, that UNIX only works on the PLUS.  One reason is that it
requires that the upper 384 kbytes of ram be addressed at the top of
the 16-Mbyte address space of the 80286.  That's where it is on the
PLUS.  The 6310 is AT-compatible, so the upper 384 kbytes of its
first megabyte are located at 1 Mbyte.

The 6310 will support Microport V/AT, and AT-compatible XENIX, as
well as OS/2 and good old MS-DOS.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave at westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857