6310 motherboards (was: 6300 parts)

Jim Greenlee jkg at prism.gatech.EDU
Sun Sep 23 09:06:51 AEST 1990

In article <5510 at kd4nc.UUCP> cld at kd4nc.UUCP (Charles D'Englere) writes:
>A local company has some 6310 and 6300 Plus boards and if memory
>serves me they want $50.00 with a 30 day warranty.

I went by there (Delta Electronics) today and picked up a 6310 motherboard
for $49.95 plus tax. They have three more in sealed boxes plus one that's
"loose" (i.e., no box). Delta has no documentation for them (which partly
explains this posting :-). This looked like a very cheap way to upgrade my
6300 (no plus) to something with more memory that might run some variant of
UNIX. Now I'm not so sure.

What I got (according to the label) is this:

	6310 Mother Board
	MPU: 80286-8	Clock: 8 MHz
	Memory: 512K (256 15 x 18 pc.)
	ROM Version: 2.10 on two 27128A
	COM Code: 405371550
	    FA #: 31636

The 6310 motherboard has most of the right connections in the right places
(connectors for serial/parallel/keyboard and the bus expansion board). Some
of the things that are missing are a connector for the floppy disk (which
is perfectly logical, considering there's no floppy disk controller :-), and
the +12V/-12V connector right next to the power and ground lugs. There's
also a corner chopped out where the reset switch is on the 6300 motherboard.

The "extra" stuff consists of two IDC connectors - a 20-pin connector near
where the power and ground lugs connect, and a 10-pin connector about four
inches from the speaker. The function of these is not readily apparent, but
there are several 3-state buffers and latches near each connector. There are
sockets for an 8087 and up to 512K more RAM. There are also several sets of
jumpers scattered around. If you hold the board so that the speaker is on
the left, the jumpers are configured is follows (top to bottom):

		JU1	JU2	JU3	JU4	JU5
		in	out	out	in	in
		in	in	in
		out	in	in
		in	out	out
		out	in
		in	out
		out	out
		out	out

Now the big question - what would it take to get this up and running in my
6300 (no plus)? I expect the least I'll need is a floppy controller card
(no duh :-). I have a Western Digital hard disk controller in it already,
so that's taken care of. I have also disabled the built-in video card, and
am using an STB Multi-Res II. I hope that doesn't present any problems.

>From the software side, I'd be interested in knowing if the same UNIX that
runs on the 6300+ would run on the 6310 as well. Any and all help would be
greatly appreciated. If someone can advise me on where to get documentation
or technical specs for this thing (particularly jumper settings), that would
be great. Thanks.

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg at cc.gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!