3b2 motherbd/harddisk problem

David C. Miller dcm at pyrite.nj.pyramid.com
Wed Feb 27 04:03:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb26.003649.22821 at cerberus.bhpese.oz.au> david at cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (David Masters) writes:

>We are having trouble installing a new motherboard in a 3b2-400. We have done
>extensive reading of the manuals we have, but have had no success.
>So eventually we get a new motherboard, and it is installed by our own in-
>house system engineers. The configuration of jumpers, etc was the same,
>but when powered-up.....
>

>	FW ERROR 1-02: DISK SANITY FAILURE
>		       EXECUTION HALTED
>
>At a later stage, this second message comes up.
>
>	FW ERROR 1-06: BOOT FAILURE
>		       EXECUTION HALTED
>

>So we looked it up in the book. Not much help there I'm afraid.
>We can run a bootable floppy unix without trouble. The trouble is that it
>can't find the hard disk drives.( perhaps it can't find the controller ?)
>Filledt doesn't want to work, but the problem appears to be that the mother-
>board can't recognise ANY additional devices, except the floppy disk, which
>it recognises whether it is connected or not.

FW error 1-02 means that the first disk could not be accessed.

Check that the last disk on the control cable (the wide one) has
a terminating resistor in place.

Also make sure that the jumpers on the hard disks are not the same.
One must be at the first jumper position (drive 0) and the other at
the second (drive 1).  (Counting from the left, when looking at the
drive from the back.)

Try switching the data cables (the small ones).

One of these should solve the first error.  Hopefully, that will in turn
solve the second.

FW error 1-06 means that the disk you specified was unbootable.  This
is probably because the motherboard couldn't see the disk.  I am guessing
that you got the second message by booting off the floppy, then resetting
(or something like that).  Filledt lives on the hard disk, and is run by
the FW.  When filledt can't be found you get the first message.  You had
already populated the EDT by running filledt from the floppy, so the FW
got a little further and generated the second message.

If you've moved any jumpers, try switching disks.  You may be trying to
boot off the second disk.

Hope this helps,

David Miller
dcm at pyrite.nj.pyramid.com