3b2 motherbd/harddisk problem

David Masters david at cerberus.bhpese.oz.au
Tue Feb 26 11:36:49 AEST 1991

We are having trouble installing a new motherboard in a 3b2-400. We have done
extensive reading of the manuals we have, but have had no success.

A little history.  :-)
The machine was going fine, and a second machine failed. The second machine
was far more important, so it was decided to cannabalise this machine until
we could get another motherboard delivered. The machine has been physically
transported during this time, so ideas of physical damage cannot be totally
ruled out, but I doubt it. :-(

So eventually we get a new motherboard, and it is installed by our own in-
house system engineers. The configuration of jumpers, etc was the same,
but when powered-up.....

	FW ERROR 1-02: DISK SANITY FAILURE
		       EXECUTION HALTED

At a later stage, this second message comes up.

	FW ERROR 1-06: BOOT FAILURE
		       EXECUTION HALTED

So we looked it up in the book. Not much help there I'm afraid.
We can run a bootable floppy unix without trouble. The trouble is that it
can't find the hard disk drives.( perhaps it can't find the controller ?)
Filledt doesn't want to work, but the problem appears to be that the mother-
board can't recognise ANY additional devices, except the floppy disk, which
it recognises whether it is connected or not.

Please help, desperate measures are required!
E-mail will be fine.

david
--
David Masters, BHP Information Technology, Newcastle, AUSTRALIA.
Internet: david at bhpese.oz.au        	     Phone: +61 49 402132