3B2 mail broken?

Paolo Ventafridda venta at otello.sublink.org
Fri Feb 8 22:13:36 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Feb6.021711.10141 at mccc.edu>, by pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg):
> I have a strange situation with smail 2.5.
[..]
> The 386 will send mail that's not addressed to a local user nor to a
> user on a listed site to the site indicated as "smart-host" in "paths,
> but the 3B2 just fails.
> Is there a replacement mail/rmail for the 3B2 that works as the one for
> the 386?  (Maybe the question is, "Did AT&T fix this in 3.2?" and then
> "How can I get a copy?"  :-)

I am running an at&t 3b2 under 3.2.1. I suggest you replace the whole
mail system (or simply override it) as i did.
For local delivery get 'deliver', it's a smart package written by Chip
Salz. (who else?), works with smail 2.5 and smail 3.1.
As /bin/mail put svbinmail you found inside smail2.5 (keep it, basically
it's just the same /bin/mail found inside utilities of smail 3.1).
This understands local addresses, and calls 'deliver', or remote addresses
and calls smail.

I've been running smail2.5 for over 2 years, but i've just switched to
the 3.1 which also allows rcsmtp over uucp. On the 3b2 the 3.1 comes
up with NO problems.

In the 2.5 my smart-host was working fine. However I found another bug:
it seems that smail didn't understand the LAST paths line.
So, if "smart-host  host!host!host  5000"  (example) is the last
line of your paths, i guess it just doesn't find it.
Solution 1:  debug the code  (i didn't have time to do it)
Solution 2:  add a dummy line at the end of paths,like:
             zzzzzzz yourhost 0
Solution 3:  install smail 3.1

I'm used to replace the whole mail system since this way you don't
loose time trying to figure out how the 'native' one works.
Ncr 2.0, unisys, 3b2, even xenix 286!
Just plug your smail[2.5/3.1] + deliver and go!

Furthermore, my sendmail on the 3b2 (using the Woll.tcp/ip) is still there
and you can use ALL of the native features just using 'mailx', which
is working fine also under the new smail environment.

Greetings..and good luck!
Paolo
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta at otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012