LP as shared resource for 3B2s

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Feb 5 03:56:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb1.142335.19594 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan31.020837.15416 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>>In article <30300001 at inmet> pcasey at inmet.inmet.com writes:

>This may be true for occaisional jobs, but for production use, RFS is better.
>We have several laser printers mounted on RFS for remote sharing on our
>WIN/TCP LAN.

In what way are you using RFS to access the printers?  Are you writing
to the remote-mounted device from a different machine or writing to
a remote spool directory or something else?  In what way is it better
than uux'ing to the remote machine?

>On top of that, they are also advertised as netbios resources so
>from my PC I can say "use lpt3: \\host\rmtprint1" and print from my PC to
>a printer on another 3B2 across campus that is mounted via RFS on my 3B2.  We
>couldn't do this via UUCP over WIN3b.

Why not?  You should be able to send your PC printouts to an arbitrary program
or shell script (at least you can in the previous DOS SERVER release - I hope
this hasn't gone away in the LM/X upgrade).  In any case you could set up
an lp queue on the local machine whose interface program actually executes
uux to the destination machine.

>I can also print to that printer from
>applications on the local 3B2.  Very useful for sending finished documents
>across campus ;-).

Again, I don't see that RFS is needed for this.  I do it with uux, sometimes
over a network, sometimes over dialup links.  There is perhaps a bit
more overhead this way but it will work even when you can't get an
immediate connection to the destination machine.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.il.us