I-node limit on 3B2 with System V R3.2.2

Kevin Darcy kevin at cfctech.cfc.com
Thu Feb 7 11:09:00 AEST 1991

In article <1844 at devildog.att.com> jrallen at devildog.att.com (Jon Allen) writes:
>In article <768 at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> hellwig at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) writes:
>>I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
>>is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
>>would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
>
>Yep, I have the very same problem.  This seems to be a MAJOR limitation to
>running news on a 3B2.  I have plenty of disk space, but hit the 64K inode
>limit.  The only alternative I know (besides using something else) is to
>hack up news to allow multple file systems under /usr/spool/news.  Mods like
>this have been/or are availble, but I have not used them.
>
>-Jon

To clarify: running news on multiple partitions is (naively) a breeze. However,
the same machines with the 64K inode limit tend to lack symbolic links. So
articles cross-posted over multiple partitions break (EXDEV) in the absence of
special handling by the news software (which needs to copy, instead of link,
such articles). This is the reason why mods to the news software is necessary
to do this kind of thing.

Such mods are available for B News to run on multiple partitions, but, as far
as I know, and last time I looked, there were no such mods for C News. This is
a shame, because, IMHO, C News is a -must- for anyone trying to run a serious
news site on a 3B2. We watched "ole faithful" B News rnews literally get
buried under our incoming feed before we grudgingly made the switchover. And
feed-size, like entropy, does not -decrease- over time...

Cfctech (3B2/1000 Model 80, SysVr3.2.2) currently runs C News on 3 partitions
with the aid of my own hacks. Our full feed would have been down to a 9-day
expire by now (if that) if we were still stuck on a single partition. As it
is, we can manage 14 days comfortably.

If/when I get things streamlined, cleaned up, and completely tested, and
assuming the C News people are interested, I'll pass the mods along.

kevin at cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin 	  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		  | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034