SG 3.4 Enhanced Client Trouble

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.COM
Tue Feb 12 09:18:57 AEST 1991

Dear Netters,

  While installing the AT&T StarGROUP 3.4 network recently, I have come
upon a strange problem with several of the client PC's.  I want to have
the Enhanced DOS Client software running, but cannot get it to load on
some of the clients!!!  With the enhanced version, I can get client
spooled printing (like a LAN MAN OS/2 client) and the administrator can
use NET ADMIN on the server from the client (only on OS/2 w/MS LAN MAN),
so there are some very good reasons for using the Enhanced Client...
  I suspect that there is a ROM BIOS problem...I can load the BASIC
Client software on any of the clones, but on several of them, the Enhanced
client won't complete loading.  The diskette runs the 'setup' and when I
exit, it goes out to the server to complete the loading....the drive grinds
for about 20 seconds and <nothing>.  The machines are i386DX's with multiple
MB of RAM; some are AMI-BIOS and others are Phoenix-BIOS.  Quite a few of
the clones (and all of the AT&T clients) take the Enhanced version, but I
am having trouble with three of the beasts.
  Any help or insight would be welcomed!   Thanx!