Problem adding harddrive to 6300

John Keane keane at paul.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 12 05:47:52 AEST 1991

Over the weekend I attempted to upgrade a friend's (antique) 6300 with
a 10-meg Seatec drive, formerly from my own 6300.  When I purchased a
new harddrive for my system, it came with a Western Digital controller
card, but the existing controller in my PC worked fine, so I never
replaced it.  That meant that I had a spare drive and controller
hanging around...

The Problem: I installed the WD card and drive in her PC, which was a
2-floppy 6300 with 256K of memory and monochrome monitor, ROM revision
1.21.  I was able to successfully initialize the disk and exercise the
controller card using the diagnostic software, but I could not get the
system to recognize the presence of the drive on boot-up.  The
message: "Fixed disk: not present" appears during the ROM self-test
sequence.  Also, a new message "Additional ROM at 0C000:00000"
appears, which I assume is something that came on the WD card.  (I
don't have any documentation for the card, which doesn't help.)

What is weird is that after booting from the floppy, the drive can be
accessed as the C drive, and appears to work just fine!  What gives?
What can I do to get the system to know the drive is there?  I tried
both of the "legal" settings on SW1 on the motherboard, per the User's
Guide.  The current situation is workable, but a big nuisance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

_John_ (keane at paul.rutgers.edu)