6300 networking

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Sun Feb 10 02:10:57 AEST 1991

No problem here.  I just installed a student lab with 12 6300s.  I
used Western Digital 8003 cards (the ones without the boot ROM
socket) and thin coax ethernet wiring.

The machines have HP/3Com/Microsoft's ARPA services for DOS
installed on the hard disks.  Pretty yucky stuff that takes
f-o-r-e-v-e-r to boot up but works fine.  We also have a few
6300s around campus that have HP/3Com 10baseT cards running the
same stuff.

For novell, I use boot floppies to avoid conflicts between the
netware ipx TSR program and the ARPA drivers.  The Netware is very
nice in that both the IPX driver and the NET3 (or NET4) DOS shells
are TSR programs.  The netware clients I used on the 6300 were
generated using the shgen disk from netware 2.15 and the drivers
disk, LANL-200, supplied with the Western Digital boards.  These
clients are talking to a version 3 netware server runing medline
cdp software on an ami eisa 486 based serer box with 9 Maxtor 650
meg drives.

==Bill==

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511