3B2 mail broken?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Feb 10 08:33:46 AEST 1991

In article <1232 at otello.sublink.org> venta at otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:

>I am running an at&t 3b2 under 3.2.1. I suggest you replace the whole
>mail system (or simply override it) as i did.
>For local delivery get 'deliver', it's a smart package written by Chip
>Salz. (who else?), works with smail 2.5 and smail 3.1.

Smail 3.1 is capable of doing its own local deliveries, including handling
pipes in .forward files.  Deliver shouldn't be necessary with it unless
you need to maintain compatibility with users deliver files.

>As /bin/mail put svbinmail you found inside smail2.5 (keep it, basically
>it's just the same /bin/mail found inside utilities of smail 3.1).
>This understands local addresses, and calls 'deliver', or remote addresses
>and calls smail.

Actually, the purpose of replacing /bin/mail is to decide whether you
are reading or sending mail based on the command line so you can
invoke the appropriate program.  The versions of svbinmail I've
found don't interpret all the possible arguments handled by current
sysV's /bin/mail, but it's a tiny program and easy to fix.

>I've been running smail2.5 for over 2 years, but i've just switched to
>the 3.1 which also allows rcsmtp over uucp. On the 3b2 the 3.1 comes
>up with NO problems.

>Furthermore, my sendmail on the 3b2 (using the Woll.tcp/ip) is still there
>and you can use ALL of the native features just using 'mailx', which
>is working fine also under the new smail environment.

Smail 3.1 should provide all the same functionality.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us