3B2 mail broken?

Bud Hovell @ Mtek bbh at mtek.com
Thu Feb 14 08:49:20 AEST 1991

In article <1232 at otello.sublink.org> venta at otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:
<In the 2.5 my smart-host was working fine. However I found another bug:
<it seems that smail didn't understand the LAST paths line.
<So, if "smart-host  host!host!host  5000"  (example) is the last
<line of your paths, i guess it just doesn't find it.

Hmmmm...we are running 3.1 here on a 3B2/400, and this problem doesn't
occur on our system (I just checked to be sure). Smail finds the last line
just fine.

In any case, if 'smart-host' were the last line in your 'paths' file, then
one might ask "Howcum?", since it would appear this would place it out of
alphabetical sequence ....which *is* a problem.

Reiterating a prior posting on this subject:

It may be worthwhile to verify that 'paths' entries are sorted in absolute
alphabetic sequence and that tabs are correctly used. Our experience here
is that if the 'paths' file doesn't conform EXACTLY to what smail2.5 is
expecting, then it *will* fail. But the fault isn't in smail2.5 - rather
in the building of the 'paths' file that it must read.
--
bud at mtek.com
"...God give me the strength to be what I am." - Gabriella Brinner