LP as shared resource for 3B2s

LCDR Michael E. Dobson rdc30 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
Sat Feb 2 01:23:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan31.020837.15416 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>In article <30300001 at inmet> pcasey at inmet.inmet.com writes:
>> I am trying to set up a laser printer connected to a 3b2 as
>> a shared resource so another 3b2 on the network can use it.
>> From what I have read, the Remote File Sharing Utilities (RFS) are
>> what is needed to accomplish this. Unfortunately, the documentation
>> is pretty vague if you aren't using STARLAN as your "transport
>> provider", which I'm not. Our 3b2s have Wollongong TCP/IP WIN3B
>> networking software, which I assume would be considered the machines
>> transport provider.
>
>If you can run UUCP over WIN3b, I'd suggest using one of the many
>remote_lp scripts which uux lp on the remote system.  You could also
>use remsh if it works.  RFS for this purpose is over-kill.

This may be true for occaisional jobs, but for production use, RFS is better.
We have several laser printers mounted on RFS for remote sharing on our
WIN/TCP LAN.  On top of that, they are also advertised as netbios resources so
from my PC I can say "use lpt3: \\host\rmtprint1" and print from my PC to
a printer on another 3B2 across campus that is mounted via RFS on my 3B2.  We
couldn't do this via UUCP over WIN3b.  I can also print to that printer from
applications on the local 3B2.  Very useful for sending finished documents
across campus ;-).
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30
AT&T 3B2/600G Sys V R 3.2.2     | BITNET:   dobson at usuhsb or nrd0mxd at vmnmdsc
WIN/TCP for 3B2                 | MCI-Mail: 377-2719 or 0003772719 at mcimail.com