3B1 Rising Popularity

Jeff Kinz jkinz at mony815.uucp
Sat Feb 2 10:41:30 AEST 1991

In article <233 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>
>>Yes it would be NICE if someone could figure out a way to use the
>>68030 on the UNIX-PC... believe me, it would be incredible.  But
>>unfortunately, I think it's impossible at this point.  As doing such
>>would require all new hardware (mostly) AND I believe a new
>>KERNEL --- who's gonna write it?
>
>	Well, as it happens, a successor to the UNIX-PC has already made
>its appearance. Based on the 680x0, innovative windowing, standard monitor
>and mouse. And they offer more in the way of performance and software at
>a lower list price than the original UNIX-PC price. Doesn't have an
>integral modem though. Oh yeah... it's called the NeXT.

And the Amiga 68030 box was on display at uniforum - SYSVR4 with
what looked like a complete development environment.  They are sending me
price lists as this is written. I'll post if it looks interesting
(has X windows and lots else included in basic package )  I think the
initial retail price may be lower than NeXT.   We'll see.  :-)

--
Jeff Kinz, on site at            | UUCP: uupsi!vmp!monymsys!jkinz
MONY Financial Services MD 75-14 | Domain: jkinz at monymsys.vmp.com
Glenpointe Center West           |
Teaneck, NJ 07666-6888           | Phone:  +1-201-907-6632