3B1 Rising Popularity

Neal P. Murphy murphyn at motcid.UUCP
Sat Feb 2 10:41:04 AEST 1991

shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>	Well, as it happens, a successor to the UNIX-PC has already made
>its appearance. Based on the 680x0, innovative windowing, standard monitor
>and mouse. And they offer more in the way of performance and software at
>a lower list price than the original UNIX-PC price. Doesn't have an
>integral modem though. Oh yeah... it's called the NeXT.

Well, NeXT uses BSD-flavor, which I really don't care for. The NeXT also
is barely any faster than the UnixPC. The NeXT '030 can get downright
sluggish at times, and the '040, while significantly faster, still is not
blindingly quick.

Personally, I'd rather have an 88100-based system. A 25MHz 88100 is 8-10
times faster than a 25MHz 68030. We've got both here in a lab; some
simple observations have been:

			68030			88100
Ehternet (FTP)		50kB/s (at best)	200kB/s (at best)
SCSI streaming tape	starts & stops a lot	mostly streams
typical command
  response time		1 sec after <RETURN>	AT <RETURN> (sometimes I think
						it finishes the command BEFORE
						I hit the return key!)

NPN