3B1 Device Driver Dev. Guide update and ordering info

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 27 12:59:47 AEST 1991

dave at dms3b1.uucp (Dave Hanna) in <1991Jan26.042946.17465 at dms3b1.uucp> writes:

Regarding the UNIXPC Device Driver Development Guide and my suggestion that
a team type it into the computer:

	Does anyone have an OCR scanner, so we could just scan the printed
	guide (and then proof-read it for scan errors) instead of typing it
	all in?  Or is the copy too low quality to make that a viable option?

The copy quality is not good enough for OCR scanning using ANY scanner I've
seen to date, and I've seen some Big Buck scanners.

To illustrate what I mean, Apple uses one of my software products (as written
up in Computerworld last year) to process the 650+ incoming daily resume's as
part of their Applicant Tracking System.  Even with the high quality of type
style/font used for resume's, the "hit rate" (for the exotic scanner Apple
uses) is only around 95% last time I heard (December 1990) (and, no, I didn't
write the scanner stuff, just the 4GL in which Apple wrote their application).

The Guide's print quality is readable by humans, but I do not believe there's
any scanner capable of reliably processing it today; the time required to make
corrections would (probably) be greater than the time required to type in the
document assisted by human optical scanning!  :-)

What's annoying (to me) is that the ORIGINAL document must have been in a file
for troff or TeX, but no-one I've called claims any knowledge of that.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com ]