Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

Neal P. Murphy murphyn at motcid.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 11:29:29 AEST 1991

thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>A big concern should there ever be a nuclear war is that the EMP would take
>out the entire telephone system, all computers, all radios, all radar, traffic
>lights, etc etc etc so my answer would be "Yes, our military's electronic
>items are susceptible as well."

>And do NOT bring up "Tempest" shielding;  that's only to prevent RFI emissions
>FROM military equipment being detected, intercepted and decoded.  One of the

True, "Tempest" refers only to such shielding. However, a system CAN be
shielded from EMP. It requires diligently applying a shield around *EVERYTHING*:
the equipment to be protected, the power lines from the UPS, the data lines
between terminals and computers, the UPS itself and connecting this shield
to earth ground. Thus shielded, the system should be safe from EMP.

NPN