3B1 C runtime library bug; do you have it too?

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 6 20:20:32 AEST 1991

bruce at balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) in <1991Jan5.174829.18682 at blilly.UUCP> writes:

	[...]
	If the "%0*.*f" happens to do want you want on other systems, that
	doesn't mean that that (unspecified) behaviour is ``standard.''

Thanks for posting that "workaround" for the benefit of those to whom it might
not have been obvious!

My "problem" was that I've been using K&R (both editions) and H&S (both eds.)
for so long that I just "assumed" the "0" would work with the 3B1's doprnt().

I picked up the BSD doprnt() stuff and will see if IT works; if it does, I'll
post all the stuff required to fix one's libc.a, shlib and shlib.ifile since
I really don't like workarounds that are only needed for one system.

On the off-chance that others are interested, the program I'm porting is the
ephemeris program (from a Sun) since "astronomy" (in the general sense) is one
of my hobbies.  I already have it working perfectly (in terms of all the math)
calculating observational data for all the planets, moon, and other objects,
and just need to adapt the displays to the 3B1's bitmap.

Some of the calcs are simply humongous.  In fact, even during compilation,
gcc exhausted ALL my swap space on one system and, to my surprise, the kernel
started killing off "random" processes to free up space ... this action by the
kernel was NOT appreciated, but at least it put up the error icon "[!!]" and
told me what it did, and I was able to restart various daemons, etc.

For HEAVY software development on the 3B1, it's now clear (to me) that MORE
than 5MB swap space is needed.  Sigh, now gotta offload, repartition for more
swap (I'm going to 4 x RAM size), then reload all the files.

Does anyone have any "rules of thumb" for selecting a good swap partition size?
I'm presently using 5MB on all systems, and am contemplating 12-16MB.  And,
yes, I *know* I should use "mapmem" to monitor swap usage, but when that
thought occurs it's already too late.  Such is life!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]