3B1 C runtime library bug; do you have it too?

Floyd Davidson floyd at ims.alaska.edu
Mon Jan 7 11:56:07 AEST 1991

In article <37645 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>For HEAVY software development on the 3B1, it's now clear (to me) that MORE
>than 5MB swap space is needed.  Sigh, now gotta offload, repartition for more
>swap (I'm going to 4 x RAM size), then reload all the files.
>
>Does anyone have any "rules of thumb" for selecting a good swap partition size?
>I'm presently using 5MB on all systems, and am contemplating 12-16MB.  And,
>yes, I *know* I should use "mapmem" to monitor swap usage, but when that
>thought occurs it's already too late.  Such is life!  :-)
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

I use a very hacked version of Lenny's sysinfo program that, amoung
other things, displays free swap space.  It also goes to inverse video
for the display of any parameter that goes beyond a set of limits.

Right now I've got 7Mb of swap space.  It has never actually been
overrun to the point you describe, but it got so close a couple times
that it gave me a bad scare.

Unless one does crazy things, I'd guess 7Mb is enough.  Anyone who
likes to start three compiles going before dinner should think about
8-10 Mb.

I'm about to replace one of my two 70Mb drives with an XT1140 and
at the top of my list are more swap, more /tmp, and more /usr/tmp.
Maybe 10Mb each for the first two and 6Mb for /usr/tmp.  That
appears to be safe for just about anything, but it is dependent
on having a lot of disk space to start with.

Floyd

Floyd L. Davidson                                  floyd at ims.alaska.edu
Salcha, AK 99714                    paycheck connection to Alascom, Inc.
 When I speak for them, one of us will be *out* of business in a hurry.