Problems with async_main (UA's term program)

Daryl Biberdorf n177ac at tamuts.tamu.edu
Tue Jan 22 08:50:30 AEST 1991

I've been trying to get the UA's terminal program (Async_main, I believe)
to work properly with my Hayes-compatible modem, an Anchor 24e5.
After selecting a number to dial, the modem dials, gets a ring, responds
to the carrier, and then gets slammed by the term program.  The message
I get on the screen tells me that the call was interrupted, and the
window error message says the dialer is hung.

A related problem is that somethign won't let loose of /dev/tty000, so
I can't place further calls.  In the past, I've been shutting down
the machine and rebooting (cold).  After some digging today I found
/usr/bin/RSfree.sh, which seems to free up /dev/tty000, so I can use
it in the meantime.

My questions are: Why is the program terminating the call prematurely?
The carrier is being received within 25 seconds of selecting the number,
so time-outs shouldn't be a problem (but this symptom smells like
a timeout problem).  Why is the program not letting go of
/dev/tty000?  How can I alter the intialization string sent to the modem?
(I'd like to change the modem's speaker volume...it's all electronically
controlled on mine.)

Alas, I'm still trying to get Pcomm to work for me...without luck.
I can get it to dial, but it just refuses to connect.  *sigh*
If I ever get Pcomm working, I'll write up an exact 'how-to'
document to help any future users (it looks like it'll be
a good program once I get it all figured out...the docs are just
a bit on the sparse side).

--Daryl Biberdorf,  n177ac at tamuts.tamu.edu