phone manager

charlie crassi charlie at ureka.UUCP
Mon Jan 7 10:23:45 AEST 1991

I have a question that perhaps someone can answer.

I was debugging my 2400 baud Microcom modem (AX/2400) to
use on my unix-pc. Actually it was working quite well for
about 3 weeks. Then it began getting flakey. About every
few calls it does not restore to the non volatile memory
settings. The DTR signal is set to &D3 which is necessary
for the AX/2400 to answer in the AT mode. see Lenny's
posting.

After working fine for a few hours and resetting for each
call like it should, it puts an arbitrary &D0 in the register.

To trouble shoot, I call another system of mine with 2
modems attached, thru the internal modem by toggling. I then
call back into ureka thru the AX/2400 to see if it will
still answer the phone. That's how I can test the connection
and the modem performance.

PROBLEM:

I was into system #2 thru ph0 and did a control-D to logout.
When I toggled ph1 after hanging up, the CRT went Blip....
like normal. After that the phone manager no longer recognizes
the .phdir file. I logged in as another user from the console
and it didn't recognize that account's .phdir either.

I renamed .phdir in my account, called up the directory, shift
F2 and it makes a new .phdir and uses it but still will not recognize
ANY of the original .phdir files in any users directory. I Tried
them to check :-(

DILEMMA:

The file command still recognizes the .phdir file as an AT&T
Phone account but the phone manager will not use the file. I
desparately need to retreive the phone numbers stored there.
I rarely use the phone dialer. I use the Directory function
to store private business and private unlisted phone numbers.
This is the only place I store them, electronically in a non-
ascii file where the file can't be easily broken into.

IDEAS ??? Please !

BTW: I don't recommend the Microcom line of Modems for use with
     the 3B1. They are NOT fully Hayes compatible. The documentation
     is poor. (no initialization or wakeup strings documented)

     There are 2 modes, SX and AX. SX is cryptic and is basically
     for VAXen etc. I believe that the intended use is as a uni-
     directional hookup. That's how they are used at the plant
     where I work. Single outgoing modems, 1 / tty "out" port and
     single incoming modems, 1 / tty "in" port. AX is supposed
     to be at fully  AT compatible but is "partially compatible"
     at best. There have been some Microcom questions on the net
     but I never saw answers posted. Microcom is an expensive
     modem that you would be better off spending your money on
     a Trailblazer.(I wish I had) Perhaps the answers were posted
     but the distribution never reached my feed.(is that possible ??)
     Sic ....another nail in the unix-pc group coffin.

pleasant platitudes,
--
charlie