Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Tue Jan 8 16:47:27 AEST 1991

dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) in <1470 at das13.snide.com> writes:

	In article <37644 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan)
	writes:
	> And for those electronics hobbiests amongst you, don't play with Tesla
	> coils > within 400m (1/4 mile) of computers ... you WILL zap CMOS ICs.

	Whoa!  Is this really TRUE?  What about negative ion generators?  What
	about those new "gas plasma" balls?

Negative ion generators are OK, and, in fact, work well to reduce the problem
at the front of CRTs (high concentration of positive ions which attracts all
the various atmospheric contaminants and suspensions such as stale farts,
smoke, etc.).  No fooling'!  In fact, we had one employee at my company who
liked to use a terminal whose keyboard was right up against the CRT ... and
her hands would develop a horrible rash on the topside until we focussed a
negative ion generator at the front of her CRT.  The bad effect of negative
ions is that too MANY will upset the balance the OTHER way and cause dirt and
crap to precipitate out onto one's walls, desks, chairs, etc.

``"gas plasma" balls'' ... dunno.

But a Tesla coil is DESIGNED to induce volts into the surrounding environment
and WILL zap computers.

You should read the history of N. Tesla.  He and Edison feuded long and hard;
Edison was deathly afraid of the AC transmission power which Tesla advocated.
Tesla won out, and we now have AC power distribution in this (and other)
country(ies).  Edison favored DC power transmission.  Perhaps he was "right",
since now there's growing concern that low frequency AC power transmission
causes all sorts of ailments, mental disorders and possibly cancer.

Tesla liked to make artificial lightning.  He'd have been a "natural" for
working on the SDI ("Star Wars") program!  :-)   And one of Tesla's great
projects was "broadcast power" ... transmission of power through the "ether"
to power everything WITHOUT all the high-tension power lines.

And with a Tesla coil I could destroy EVERY electronic device in your home
and on your person from a van parked out in the street.  Computers, digital
watches, VCR, AM/FM radio, computerized thermostat, cellular telephone, etc.
are all susceptible.

Scary, huh?   z-z-z-z-ZAP!  *P*O*W*     :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]