Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

David B. Thomas dt at yenta.alb.nm.us
Wed Jan 9 17:43:42 AEST 1991

thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>And with a Tesla coil I could destroy EVERY electronic device in your home
>and on your person from a van parked out in the street.  Computers, digital
>watches, VCR, AM/FM radio, computerized thermostat, cellular telephone, etc.
>are all susceptible.

Please, Thad!  I already had one bad dream about zapping my poor
3b1 motherboard last night.  Now I'm really gonna sleep badly!

I heard that Edison was so vehemently opposed to Tesla's AC
that he staged a demonstration on "The Effect of AC on This Dog".
It wasn't pretty.

So how big, physically, would this destructive device be?  And
would you simply zap it in the vicinity, and the massive EMI
will do in sensitive equipment?  Are our military's electronic
items susceptible as well?

					little david
--
In electronics, no one thinks you're strange if you blow your pal.