The KORN SHELL

Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly.UUCP
Wed Jan 16 11:07:37 AEST 1991

In article <37920 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>which is version "06/03/86".  You could use "strings" to ascertain the version
>but the easiest is to be in emacs mode and type a ^V (control-V).

what(1) also works, if you have it.

>As far as any alleged incompatibilty with "sh", I really haven't found any,
>and "ksh" is even root's default shell on ALL my systems.  The only quirk using
>ksh for root is that some custom crontab entries may cause the message
>"Nonstandard shell" to appear in the cronlog and abort; the "fix" to this is
>to have entries in crontab like (which, by the way, IS my /usr/lib/crontab):

Linking /bin/ksh to /bin/sh also works (the documentation said it was OK
with this version, so I tried it on one machine about 5 months ago -- no
problems (yet)).  However, ksh does use a startup file ($ENV), which can
slow things down, and may cause unexpected things to happens if the
startup file writes anything to stdout.

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM