Updates on various projects

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Jan 24 01:35:45 AEST 1991

jlw3 at cbnewsj.att.com (Joseph L. Wood, III)
in <1991Jan21.142748.2920 at cbnewsj.att.com> writes:

	RE:  3B1 Keyboard Cables.
	[...]
	The cable is a straight through, mylar-sheilded, 8-conductor,
	cable which is perfectly symmectric.  For those of you brave
	souls with an extra cable or two, you could splice two together.
	[...]

Surprise, surprise, I've just discovered the standard, coiled keyboard cables
are NOT wired straight-through from Berg connector to Berg connector; one pair
of wires are inverted (akin to how a null modem is wired for RS232).  Luckily
my keyboard on the "test" tower system didn't go *P*O*O*F*, works fine now
after switching the two wires on the DB-9 <=> Berg cables I located.

The paper-white monitor works simply fabulously ... it also has a switch to
alternate between "standard" and reverse video.  You just wouldn't believe
how much better it is to play the Mahjongg on a white screen with black
lettering ... no more eyestrain, and the tiles' shadows now LOOK like shadows.
Even the "Hic's Amazing Maze" is fantastic in this mode.

I'll be posting complete details of all this stuff shortly after I make the
final adjustments to the monitor.  If anyone's in Silicon Valley today and
attends the AT&T UNIX Users' Group meeting, I'll be bringing the system there
along with the monitor and keyboard extension.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com ]