PC bulletin boards in bay area

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Mon Jan 7 12:58:23 AEST 1991

Alvin at cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) in <37656 at cup.portal.com> writes:

	Just goes to show.

Show WHAT?

	I have been to all the local unix-pc user groups since before the
	began by a year or so when it was primarily the DOS group.  Seldom
	said a word. Felt it was really over my head.

	I've been reading these unix-pc usenet stuff for a couple of years,
	every day. I've been trying to get my unix-pc to work for four years
	without other than momentary success. Although I have taken my
	machines to almost all the meetings.

I'm not trying to criticize, but Alvin's machine is the one I mentioned in
another posting as having the "216" motherboard whose floppy connector pinnings
are reversed from every other 3B1 and whose motherboard is considerably
different from ANY other UNIXPC.  I almost suspect it is a pre-production
prototype.

	Here the other day some guy asks a question on BBS's in the Bay Area.
	Wow, a question I can finally talk on.  Still to afraid to talk on the
	net, I send the guy off an email and he sends back a "Thanks."

	I felt wonderful.

And that's GREAT!  This is just the one of the things that's so nice about
Usenet, people helping out others.

But the guy who posted the query about PC BBS systems made several boo-boos.
He posted to a "sources" group, and he posted to a group that really has
nothing whatsoever to do with IBM-PC or MS-DOS systems.

	Thad comes out an flames the thing. Boy!! When you're feeling lower
	than a snakes heel, someone takes the rock off'n you head, you think
	"Thank God, a breath of fresh air, and Thad steps on you head.  Merry
	Christmas.

I "flamed" ONLY the original poster in the same spirit as that which sparked
the discussion (and the present voting) for a group re-organization to prevent
erroneous postings such as the one presently under discussion.

Note the original poster posted from amdahl.com, located in the heart of
Silicon Valley, in which even at Safeway stores one can find the free copies
of the monthly MICROTIMES (typically 250-300 pages) and bi-weekly COMPUTER
CURRENTS both of which list all BBS systems and user groups in N.California.
It's difficult to be anywhere in Silicon Valley and NOT see even newsstands at
street corners or in front of restaurants and fast-food places at which the
MICROTIMES and COMPUTER CURRENTS are distributed.

I'm saddened to read that Alvin feels the way he does about my "flame", but it
was NOT directed at him (how could it be when no-one besides himself or the
recipient of his email even knew he answered the posting?) and I don't feel any
apologies are in order.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]