Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Jan 10 14:51:39 AEST 1991

neal at mnopltd.UUCP in <164 at mnopltd.UUCP> writes:

	->And with a Tesla coil I could destroy EVERY electronic device in
	->your home and on your person from a van parked out in the street.
	->Computers, digital watches, VCR, AM/FM radio, computerized thermostat,
	->cellular telephone, etc. are all susceptible.

	It better be an OLD van, or you will fry yer own ignition system...

How true.  Even high-power RF energy will temporarily "disable" the ignition
systems and computers on modern vehicles.

I was driving down I-280 in Silicon Valley when along comes a "rubber ducky"
running what I believed to be a 1000W linear amp (for CB) in his vehicle when
everything, that's EVERYTHING, in my car ceased functioning and the dashboard
totally lit up until the #^$(*!&^ idiot passed on by.  Even my wrist-watch
was affected, going into a weird state until I pulled the battery and reset it.

That was one of the few instances where, if sufficient weaponry was onboard,
I would have blown that vehicle and its driver out of existance.  Seriously.

Of course, the electronics in my car "should" have been better shielded.  As
it is, nearly everything from dual fuel pumps to gas flow meter, etc etc is
connected with unshielded cabling.  (yeah, a few years ago I decided to buy a
vehicle that's almost like a "fly by wire" jet fighter).

Just imagine what would have happened to some pedestrian with a heart pacemaker
or other electronic "appliance."

Sheesh.  RFI pollution is NO joke; it can be a matter of life or death.  That's
why it's illegal.

And a Tesla coil can do so much more ...

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]