Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

Dave Ihnat ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jan 12 10:37:34 AEST 1991

In article <517 at nyet.UUCP> pete at nyet.UUCP (Pete Hardie) writes:
>In article <1991Jan6.103604.13477 at ims.alaska.edu> floyd at ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) writes:
>A good idea is to use somewhat diluted fabric softener, if it's one of the
>brands that will reduce 'static cling'.  We used it at a previous job when
>static charges kept causing resets every time we touched the tape drive.
>You spray it on the carpet to prevent buildup while walking.

Heh.  I remember once, back in about '81, I was on a contract at Bel--er,
a Large Telecommunications Company in Naperville, and we were undergoing
such a burst of growth with the project I was on that our lab was in a
*carpeted* room.  We were building a "portable" Unix 3.0 8086 for field
testing--dubbed the FTS, for Field Test Set (catchy, huh?) and always had
the guts out for ROM and RAM swaps, mods, etc.  Static got so bad that we
had to do something; so we kept a can of "Cling Free" by the door, and
*every time* anyone walked in the lab, they had to liberally dose themselves
with the stuff to protect the equipment.

I still hate the smell of Cling Free...

		Dave Ihnat
		ignatz at homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us