StarLAN Woes

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Thu Jan 10 13:14:09 AEST 1991

I have a pair of 3B2/400s running SV R3.1, StarLAN-1 and RFS.  I also
have a 386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 (includes Network Support Utilities and
RFS, both release 1.2 version 2.0) and StarGroup 3.2 (to a bunch of
MSDOS clients).

Each network works well.  So I administered the 3B2 (mccc) that's the
primary server for its network to include the 386 (tech) and set up RFS.
Next I connected the cable between an IN on one NAU and an OUT on the
other, and rebooted all three computers.  The 3B2s come up normally, but
I get the following message from the 386:

rfstart: could not contact primary name server
rfstart: No reply from domain name server

I have swapped cables and manually checked out all configuration files,
and everything seems to be OK (well, I know that the cables are OK).

It dawned on me today that I hadn't tried to see if Starlan was OK.  So
I tried to do a "cu -d mccc" from the 386.  Here's what I got:

	conn(mccc)
	Device Type STARLAN wanted
	ProtoStr = eg
	Internal caller type TLIS
	filelock: ok
	tlicall: bound to
	t_connect to addr "mccc"
	t_connect: System error
	tlicall: system error: Invalid argument.

Undaunted, I went to the 3B2 that's connected to mccc and did the same
"cu -d mccc".  The first five lines were as above but the sixth said:
	tlicall: bound to ATT.TLI
and then it connected successfully!  I grep /usr/lib/uucp, /usr/net,
/usr/nserve, and /usr/slan looking for ATT.TLI but drew a blank.

The 3B2 and the 386 have identical Devices and Systems entries:

	STARLAN,eg starlan - - TLIS \D

	mccc Any STARLAN - mccc in:--in: nuucp

Help!

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math