Double-ESC

Andy Heffernan ahh at glyph.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 13:16:28 AEST 1991

Shortly before I left for the holidays I received some mail regarding
the double-ESC problem.  I sent mail back requesting another hint
as I got stuck with the first one, but I haven't gotten a response
yet so I thought I'd throw this out to unix-pc at large.

To review the problem, some TAM programs will leave a window in
a strange state where each press of the ESC key actually yields
two ESC characters into the input stream.  A program I have under
development causes this to happen whenever it treats stdin as
its input file.  Getting input from a file named in the argument list
causes no problems, but than SIGINTs aren't recognized (shades of VM/CMS --
home of the Programs That Will Not Die).

Enough of that, here's the hint I got (edited):
"
There's a flag (documented in /usr/include/sys/wd.h) that needs to be cleared.
"

...and sure enough,
$ grep ESC /usr/include/sys/wd.h
#define ESC		1		/* received ESC (0x1b)		*/
#define CSI		2		/* received CSI (ESC [)		*/
#define WDESC		0x20		/* double esc flag		*/
	Hey look!			   Hey look!

According to the comments, this is a flag for the w_flags member
of the windef structure.  Well, this is lervly and everything,
but where-oh-where does the windef chain(s) start?

This constant beeping in vi is making me goofy.