Double-ESC

Andy Heffernan ahh at glyph.UUCP
Wed Jan 16 13:18:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan07.045230.2540 at quest.UUCP> ssb at quest.UUCP (Scott Sheldon Bertilson) writes:

>  Just fiddled a little and found that the WIOCSESC can be used
>to turn it off or on.  Any non-zero argument enables it, and a
>0 argument disables it:
>	ioctl(0, WIOCSESC, 0);	/* disable */
>	ioctl(0, WIOCSESC, 1);	/* enable */

Yes, a fresh lead from my mysterious informant (actually it was
Bob Manson, manson at cis.ohio-state.edu -- thanks, Bob) redirected me
to that ioctl, and it seems to work.  The return from the ioctl() also
appears to be the old state of the flag.  Very interesting.

Of course, I don't understand the point of the flag, why it gets
set in the first place, and why my news software continually fills in
a stripped-down Followup-To line whenever I cross-post to unix-pc.general
and comp.sys.att.

I suppose I ought to be satisfied (heh).