Starlan 3.3a -vs- MS-Windows 3.0 *long*

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.UUCP
Wed Jan 23 11:06:02 AEST 1991

In article <547 at pallas.athenanet.com> lbert359 at athenanet.com (Lee Bertagnolli) writes:
>I am attempting to install Windows 3.0 on a 6386sx/el attached to a Starlan
>3.3a network.  The Starlan portions work fine in that I am able to use
>network disk and printer resources, and kermit.  However, I must run windows
>in real mode, and accessing a network printer from a windows application
>is not reliable (it may work, then again, it may not).  Does anyone have
>any words of wisdom in using Windows in conjunction with Starlan 3.3a?

Here are some notes concerning StarGroup/LMX and Windows3.0 (& other things)

This is rather long - press "n" to avoid :-)

	AT&T StarGROUP(R) LAN MANAGER CLIENT
        ------------------------------------

CONTENTS
---------

	This file contains information on:
	 1. Using Windows 3.0 and expanded memory.
	 2. Using EMM386.SYS.
	 3. Configuring the Client to Use High (Extended) Memory.
	 4. Minimizing Memory Usage with 386MAX(TM) V5.0.

1. WINDOWS 3.0 USERS
--------------------

To utilize expanded memory with the BASIC or ENHANCED clients you
must do the following:

	1. Copy himem.sys and emm386.sys (may be named himem.dos and
	   emm386.dos) to your hard disk. These files are included
	   with Windows 3.0 and should be in the Windows 3.0 directory.
	   Be sure to use the latest versions available.

	2. Add the DEVICE= lines to the beginning of config.sys:
		DEVICE=c:<subdirectory_containing>\himem.sys
		DEVICE=c:<subdirectory_containing>\emm386.sys D=48

	3. Using RECONFIG, select Miscellaneous Parameters. Increase
	   the number of Max Network Commands to 28 or greater.

2. USING EMM386.SYS AND 80386 SYSTEMS
-------------------------------------

To minimize the amount of conventional RAM occupied by the network
software, you may want to use the expanded memory emulation provided
with this release. Use the driver EMM386.sys located in the EMM
subdirectory on the Drivers 2 diskette. The following information
describes both this driver and the himem.sys driver.

USING THE EMM386.SYS EXPANDED MEMORY MANAGER

emm386.sys uses a section of extended memory to emulate
expanded memory.  When the Client Program uses this
emulation of expanded memory, it loads about 48 KBytes
into the expanded memory, leaving more space in conventional
memory for other applications.  To use emm386.sys, the computer
must also have himem.sys installed (for more information about
himem.sys, see the previous instructions in this section).

The LAN Manager software includes a version of emm386.sys.
If you install an application that includes a newer
version of emm386.sys, use the newer version.  To determine
how new a version is, either check the creation date of
the file or examine the messages displayed when the
computer is booted.

If you install emm386.sys, don't configure utilities (for
example, disk cache or RAM disk drivers) to
use the emm386.sys emulated expanded memory.  These
utilities run faster in extended memory or in physical
expanded memory (an expanded memory card in the computer).
If you do run utilities in the emm386.sys emulation of
expanded memory, be sure that at least 64 KBytes of that
expanded memory is left for use by the Client Program.

INSTALLING EMM386.SYS

To install emm386.sys, follow these steps after you
have used the Setup Program to install the Client Program:

NOTE >>
If you wish to install emm386.sys on a Client Boot
Diskette, you must use a computer that either has two
diskette drives or that already has a copy of the
emm386.sys file on its hard disk. <<

1.  Verify that the system is displaying the DOS system prompt.

2.  Locate a copy of the emm386.sys file:

  *  If you are using a computer that already has a copy of
     the emm386.sys file on its hard disk, proceed to Step 3.

  *  Otherwise, locate the emm directory (this directory
     contains the emm386.sys file) on the LAN Manager
     Client Program distribution diskettes.  This directory's
     location varies, depending upon the type (physical size
     and capacity) of diskettes you are using.  Use the DOS dir
     command to examine the contents of each distribution
     diskette until you locate the emm directory.

     NOTE >>
     If you have a diskette labelled "drivers 2 diskette"
     examine that diskette first. <<

3.  Use the DOS copy command to copy the emm386.sys file into
the \lanman.dos\drivers directory on the desired client
(the client for which you are installing the emm386.sys
expanded memory manager).

4.  Use a text editor to edit the client's config.sys file
as follows:

  A.  Delete the device= driver statement that contains
      an assignment for the cemm.sys or cemm.exe expanded
      memory manager.

  B.  Add a device= driver statement, containing an assignment
      for the emm386.sys expanded memory manager.  The following
      example of this statement might be used for a Client Program
      installed on a hard disk:

                device=c:\lanman.dos\drivers\emm386.sys

      NOTE >>
      If you wish to adjust emm386.sys options, see ADJUSTING
      EMM386.SYS OPTIONS, in this section. <<

  C.  Make sure that the first lines in the client's config.sys file
      appear in the following order:

      a.  A device= driver statement, containing an assignment for
          himem.sys

      b.  A device= driver statement, containing an assignment for
          emm386.sys

      c.  Other Client Program device= driver statements (for
          any other drivers or applications that use expanded memory)

ADJUSTING EMM386.SYS OPTIONS

To adjust emm386.sys options, edit the following line in
the config.sys file:

     device=driveid:\path\lanman.dos\drivers\emm386.sys [size] [options]

Replace "driveid" and "path" with the drive and path you specified
for the location of the Client Program when it was installed.  Refer
to the following paragraphs for an explanation of "size" and "options".

size

  Minimum value:         16
  Maximum value:         32768
  Default value:         512

  The size specifies (in KBytes) the amount of extended memory
  emm386.sys can use as expanded memory.  Supply only a number.

options

  The options include all of the following memory options:

  NOTE >>
  The d option is required for Microsoft(R) Windows 3.0 <<

  *  w=[on | off]

     Default value:         off
     Other choices:         on

     This option enables or disables support for the
     Weitek Coprocessor.

  *  frame=nnnn

     Minimum value:         1000
     Maximum value:         EC00
     Default value:         (automatically configured)

     This option specifies the base address of the 64 KByte page
     frame used by emm386.sys.  Use this option only if emm386.sys
     places the page frame in conflict with something else.

     Usually, emm386.sys locates a contiguous 64 KByte
     block of memory that does not overlap addresses used by other cards.

  *  px=nnnn

     Minimum value:         1000
     Maximum value:         EC00

     This option specifies the address of a specific page
     of memory, where "x" is one of the following:

                0, 1, 2, 3, 254, 255

     For example, to locate page 3 at the address CC00:0000,
     specify the value p3=cc00.  If you use the frame option,
     you cannot use the p option for pages 0-3.  For compatibility with
     the LIM 3.2 EMS specification and StarGROUP, p0-p3 must
     be contiguous.

  *  x=nnnn-nnnn

     Minimum value:          1000
     Maximum value:          EC00

     This option specifies a range of memory excluded from use
     by emm386.sys.  Use this option when an expansion board (for example,
     a Network Adapter) is installed between the addresses
     A000:0000-E000:0000.   emm386.sys detects most expansion
     boards between A000:0000-E000:0000 and finds a contiguous
     64 KByte block that doesn't overlap addresses used by
     other expansion boards.

  *  b=nnnn

     Minimum value:          1000
     Maximum value:          4000
     Default value:          4000

     This option specifies the lowest allowable expanded
     memory address.  For example, to keep expanded memory
     above the address 2000:0000, specify the value b=2000 .

  *  l=n

     This option specifies (in KBytes) an amount of extended memory that
     must remain after assigning expanded memory.  For example, to
     ensure that 640 KBytes of extended memory will be available
     after loading emm386.sys, specify the value  1=640 .

  *  d=n

     Default value:         16

     This option specifies (in KBytes) the size of the internal direct
     memory access (DMA) buffer.  A recommended value when using
     Windows 3.0 is 48 KBytes (for more information, see the
     documentation provided with Windows).

  *  a=n

     Minimum value:          0
     Maximum value:          254
     Default value:          7

     This option specifies the number of fast alternate register
     sets allocated to emm386.sys.

  *  h=n

     Minimum value:          2
     Maximum value:          255
     Default value:          64

     This option specifies the number of handles emm386.sys can use.

EXAMPLES
To run emm386.sys using default values and a driver
located in the C: directory, type

          device=emm386.sys

To allocate 1024 KBytes for expanded memory and exclude the
addresses C400:0000-C7FF:0000 (768 KBytes to 832 KBytes)
for locating the page frame or mappable pages, using
a driver located in the c:\lanman.dos\drivers
directory, type

          device=c:\lanman.dos\drivers\emm386.sys 1024 X:C400-C7FF

The following example provides two equivalent lines that set the page
frame's base address at D000:0000.  The driver is
located in the  c:\drivers\directory.

          device=c:\drivers\emm386.sys FRAME-D000

          device=c:\drivers\emm386.sys P0=D000 P1=D400 P2=D800 P3=DC00

3. CONFIGURING THE CLIENT TO USE HIGH (EXTENDED) MEMORY

If the Client Program will be used on a computer that has an
80286 or 80386 CPU and more than 1 MByte of RAM,
it is possible to load the DOS redirector (a network
component) into high memory.  Loading the redirector into
high memory reduces the amount of conventional memory used
by the Client Program, freeing that memory space for
other applications.  When the redirector is loaded into high
memory, 37 KBytes of conventional memory are made available.

If you are installing a Basic DOS or Enhanced DOS client on
a computer equipped with an 80386 CPU and you wish to
further reduce the amount of conventional memory used by
the Client Program, see the instructions in CONFIGURING 386
CLIENTS FOR MINIMUM MEMORY USAGE

This section contains information required to configure
Basic DOS and Enhanced DOS clients to run the DOS redirector
in high (extended) memory.  The high memory option cannot be
used by the following clients:

* OS/2(R) clients

* clients using the XMAEM.SYS expanded memory manager,
  included with PC-DOS(TM) 4.0.

* clients using the ILIM386.SYS expanded memory manager,
  included with the Intel(R) InBoard/386(TM) AT.

* clients using the SoftBytes expanded memory manager,
  by Vericomp.

* clients using the cemm.sys or cemm.exe expanded memory
  managers, by COMPAQ(R) (included with COMPAQ 286 and COMPAQ 386
  computers).

  IMPORTANT >>
  Clients currently running cemm.sys or cemm.exe can
  alternatively use a replacement memory manager, emm386.sys,
  included with the StarGROUP(R) Software.  After emm386.sys is
  installed, the client can use the high memory option.
  For complete information concerning this replacement
  memory manager, see USING THE EMM386.SYS EXPANDED MEMORY
  MANAGER, in this section. <<

To run the DOS redirector in high memory, follow these steps:

1.  During installation or reconfiguration of the
Client Program, select Y for yes in response to the
"Load the DOS redirector in high memory?" question on the
Profile screen.  (For further information,
see "Installing the Client Program" or "Reconfiguring
the Client Program" in Chapter 3 of Installing LAN Manager.)

2.  Select the one option below that best describes the
client and follow the corresponding instructions:

* If the client is using 386MAX(R) by Qualitas(R) or QEMM-386(TM)
  by Quarterdeck(TM), you do not need to perform any additional
  steps to use the high memory option.  However, to optimize the
  performance of your computer, it is recommended that you follow
  the instructions in CONFIGURING 386 CLIENTS FOR MINIMUM
  MEMORY USAGE, and the instructions provided with the
  Qualitas or Quarterdeck product.

* If the client is using the cemm.sys or cemm.exe expanded
  memory managers by COMPAQ(R) (included with COMPAQ 286 and
  COMPAQ 386 computers), you must follow the instructions
  presented in USING THE EMM386.SYS EXPANDED MEMORY MANAGER,
  in this section.

* If you have reconfigured a previously installed
  Client Program to enable the high memory option,
  you must edit the client's config.sys file.  Follow
  the instructions presented in EDITING THE CONFIG.SYS
  FILE TO USE HIMEM.SYS, in this section.

* If none of the above conditions apply and you have performed
  a new installation of the Client Program, the config.sys
  file is modified automatically for you.  The DOS redirector
  should automatically load in high memory when the Client
  Program is loaded.

EDITING THE CONFIG.SYS FILE TO USE HIMEM.SYS

Use a text editor to insert a line similar to the following in the
client's config.sys file:

device=driveid:\path\lanman.dos\drivers\himem.sys [/hmamin=h] [/numhandles=n]

Replace "driveid" and "path" with the drive and path you specified
for the location of the Client Program when it was
installed.  Refer to the following paragraphs for an explanation
of the  /hmamin=h  and the  /numhandles=n  parameters.

* /hmamin=h

  Minimum value:        0
  Maximum value:        63
  Default value:        0

  This parameter sets the minimum space (in KBytes) in the
  High Memory Area that a program can use.  Programs that use
  less space than the minimum number you specify will not be
  placed in the High Memory Area.  If you use the default
  value (0), programs will access the High Memory Area
  on a "first come, first served" basis.

  This value becomes important when another terminate and
  stay resident program (TSR) in addition to the redirector is
  installed on the system and both are using the High
  Memory Area.  If this occurs, you should determine whether
  the redirector or the other TSR uses more of the High Memory Area.
  Use the request size of this program as the value for
  the hmamin=h parameter to obtain the maximum benefit from
  the High Memory Area.  When the hmamin=h parameter is used,
  the system displays the following message:

            Minimum HMA size set to <n>

  where "n" is replaced by the actual number.

*  /numhandles=n

  Minimum value:        1
  Maximum value:        28
  Default value:        32

  This parameter (for advanced users only) sets the maximum number of
  Extended Memory Block (EMB) handles that can be used at any given
  time.  Each additional handle requires an additional 6 bytes of
  resident memory.  When the numhandles=n parameter is
  used, the following message is displayed:

            n extended memory handles available

  where "n" is replaced by the actual number.

*  /shadow :[on | off]

  Default value:        off (for some computers)
  Other choices:        on

  This parameter controls "shadow RAM," which consists of
  areas of read-only memory (ROM) that are copied
  into conventional RAM so that it can run faster.  In
  the process, shadow RAM uses extended memory.

  Normally, on a computer with less than 384 KBytes of extended
  memory, himem.sys tries to disable shadow RAM to leave room
  for application programs.  Some computers, however, do not
  allow disabling of shadow RAM.

  To leave the ROM code in ROM, sacrificing some performance
  speed, specify /shadow:off

  To allow shadow RAM, even on a computer with less than
  384 KBytes of extended memory, specify /shadow:on

  By default, shadow RAM is disabled for computers with less
  than 384 KBytes of extended memory.

*  /machine : name

  Default value :	at

  This parameter specifies the type of computer, allowing
  himem.sys to install the proper A20 line handler.  Usually,
  himem.sys detects the computer type successfully.  However, you
  can manually specify a name or a number from the following list:

  Number    Name          Computer model
  ------    ----          --------------
  1         at            IBM(R) AT(R) or compatible
  2         ps2           IBM PS/2(R) or compatible
  3         ptlcascade    Phoenix Cascade BIOS
  4         hpvectra      HP(R) "Classic" Vectra(R) (AT&T)
  5         att6300plus   AT&T 6300 plus
  6         acer1100      Acer 1100
  7         toshiba       Toshiba(R) 1600 and 1200XE
  8         wyse          Wyse(R) 12.5 MHz 386 m/c

  For example, to specify an IBM PS/2, you could enter either
  /machine:2  or  /machine:ps2

*  /int15=n

  Minimum value:        64

  This parameter specifies (in KBytes) the amount
  of extended memory to use for an int15 interface.

*  /a20control= [on | off]

  This parameter specifies whether himem.sys takes control
  of the A20 lines regardless of whether A20 is on when
  himem.sys is loaded.  If this parameter is set to off,
  himem.sys takes control of A20 only if A20 is off when
  himem.sys is loaded.

EXAMPLES

The following example shows the normal configuration of
the himem.sys command line in the config.sys file:

          device=c:\lanman.dos\drivers\himem.sys

The following example shows a configuration of himem.sys
that ensures that any program using the High Memory Area
must use at least 37 KBytes of this memory:

          device=c:\lanman.dos\drivers\himem.sys /hmamin=37

The following example shows a configuration of himem.sys
that uses the maximum number of Extended Memory Block handles:

          device=c:\lanman.dos\drivers\himem.sys /numhandles=128

4. MINIMIZING MEMORY USAGE WITH 386MAX(TM) V5.0

NOTE >>
These instructions are for experienced
administrators only. <<

In addition to using expanded memory and extended memory,
Basic DOS and Enhanced DOS clients equipped with 80386
central processing units (CPUs) can save additional RAM
by using 386MAX(R) by Qualitas(R) or QEMM-386 by
Quarterdeck(TM).  These programs allow network drivers,
protocols, and terminate and stay resident (TSR)
programs to be mapped into memory space between 640 KBytes
and 1 MByte.  As a result, additional memory space below
640 KBytes is available for use by application programs
(providing between 540 KBytes and 560 KBytes total RAM
for application program use).  To save additional memory
space by using 386MAX or QEMM-386, follow these steps:

NOTE >>
This appendix only provides instructions
for using 386MAX.  A similar procedure may be used for
QEMM-386 (for complete instructions, see the documentation
provided with QEMM-386). <<

1.  Install the Client Program according to
the instructions in Chapter 3 of this guide, ``The
Client Program.''  Reboot the client and verify
that the Client Program is operating properly.

2.  Install 386MAX and verify the operations of the memory
manager (for instructions, see the documentation provided
with the 386MAX program).

3.  Run the MAXIMIZE program (provided with 386MAX).  This
program determines the optimum loading order for network
software and TSR programs.

NOTE >>
For complete instructions concerning the MAXIMIZE program,
see the documentation provided with the program. <<

4.  When the MAXIMIZE program displays the ATTSTART line,
press F2 to change the value displayed for ATTSTART
from MAXIMIZE to LOW.

NOTE >>
If the MAXIMIZE program fails to complete, you can still
use the modified autoexec.bat and config.sys files.  For
complete instructions, see the documentation provided
with the MAXIMIZE program. <<

5.  Depending upon the type of client being used, modify the
appropriate parameters in the client's lanman.ini file,
as shown below (for instructions concerning how to change
parameter values in the lanman.ini file, see Appendix
C of this guide, ``Using the lanman.ini File for Advanced
Client Configuration''):

* For Basic DOS clients, set the parameters shown below
  to the values indicated:

  [attservices] section

  netmsg =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=c: lanman.dos services netmsg.com
  nps =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog nps.exe
  prtsc =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog prtsc.exe

  [services] section

  minses =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog minses.exe
  vertbl =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog vertbl.exe
  workstation =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog redir.exe

* For Enhanced DOS clients, set the parameters shown
  below to the values indicated:

  [attservices] section

  netmsg =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=c: lanman.dos services netmsg.com
  nps =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog nps.exe
  prtsc =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog prtsc.exe

  [services] section

  minses =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog minses.exe
  vertbl =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog vertbl.exe
  workstation =netprog 386load.com getsize prog=netprog netwksta.exe

6. Copy 386load.com to the netprog subdirectory.

7. Reboot the client and load the Client Program.

8. Type

   386load.com /s

and press RETURN. The system will print a summary report of
resident program memory usage.  To allow you to further
minimize the amount of conventional RAM used, this report contains
suggested actions for each device driver, program, or TSR.
Use these suggestions, the 386MAX documentation, and Appendix C
of this guide to modify the appropriate lanman.ini parameters.

Copyright (C) 1990 AT&T
All Rights Reserved

NOTICE
The information in this document is subject to
change without notice.  AT&T assumes no responsibility
for any errors that may appear in this document.

TRADEMARK NOTICE

3COM is a registered trademark of 3COM Corporation.

Aboveboard and InBoard are trademarks and
Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.

Advantage Premium is a trademark and Six Pak Premium is
a registered trademark of AST Research, Inc.

COMPAQ is a registered trademark of COMPAQ Computer Corporation.

HP and Vectra are registered trademarks of the Hewlett
Packard Company.

Interlan is a registered trademark of Interlan, Inc.

Lotus is a registered trademark of Lotus Development Corporation.

Micom is a registered trademark of Micom Systems, Inc.

Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

PC-DOS and PC-XT are trademarks and IBM, PC-AT, PS/2, and OS/2 are
registered trademarks of International Business Machines
Corporation.

Qualitas and 386MAX are registered trademarks of Qualitas, Inc.

Quarterdeck is a trademark of Quarterdeck Office Systems, Inc.

StarServer is a trademark and StarGROUP is a registered trademark of AT&T.

Toshiba is a registered trademark of Toshiba Corporation.

UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.

Wyse is a registered trademark of Wyse Technology.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden at apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden