tty line discipline on 9820

Greg Hackney 214+464-2771 mechjgh at tness1.UUCP
Thu Apr 28 08:53:26 AEST 1988

In article <998 at tness7.UUCP> mechjgh at tness7.UUCP I write:

> Any ideas as to how to get DTR to drop when
> I log off with cntrl-d (getty running in att universe).
> "stty 0" will drop the connection, however cntrl-d doesn't.

I thought this was a bug, but it turns out to be a feature.

The port DOES disconnect properly, UNLESS a user process is still
running in the background. (I was running a mail check demon in
the background.)

RTOC says the tty is not closed, so the HUPCL (hang-up-on-close) does
not apply. It may be a feature, but is not consistent with other
machines I have worked with. A quirk I can live with.

--
Greg