Accounting validation

Linda Birmingham linda at cc.brunel.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 20:44:18 AEST 1988

Has anyone validated the results from System V accounting output ?
Particularly on Pyramids ?

I have checked a few figures output by 'prdaily' in the System V universe
of our Pyramid 9820 and there are a few anomalies. The accounting system
works as documented but is it producing correct results ?

In particular, has anyone fixed the bug reported on page 5-10 of
"Unix System V Administrator Guide - Dec Processors" ?
i.e. "Occassionally, mysterious tacct records will appear with negative
numbers, duplicate user ID's, or a user ID of 65,535 "

I have got rid of duplicate user ID's by increasing the size of the
/usr/adm/pacct (/usr/adm/acct) file but this hasn't fixed the
negative numbers.

Linda. [Brunel University, Middlesex, England]