Advice Wanted on File Servers for a Diskless Network

Scott Schoenthal sas at pyrps5
Fri Apr 22 23:46:22 AEST 1988

In article <20398 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>Pyramid is actually ready. (Honest.) It's Sun that is holding up the show.

Well, yes and no.  We (and the other NFS vendors who are working on building
support of diskless NFS clients into their products) have been doing
integration using a Beta release of the diskless server software from Sun.
The final release from Sun to vendors is due Any Day Now.

>Diskless NFS is on the laundry list of features in SunOS 4.0. When Sun ships
>4.0, you will be able to use a Pyramid as your server, with no Sun server.

Well, yes and no.  Support for diskless NFS clients will be available in only
the most recent version of OSx (indications are that this will be 4.4) at the
time when the software is ready.  There will be no attempt to support diskless
NFS clients in earlier versions of OSx:  no retrofitting.

>Latest rumors are that SunOS 4.0 will start shipping around June-July-August.
>So much has changed in this release that Sun is testing it exhaustively.

I would expect the Pyramid product to be available "soon after".

sas
----
Scott Schoenthal   sas at pyrps5.pyramid.com	Pyramid Technology Corp.