Advice Wanted on File Servers for a Diskless Network

Ron Natalie ron at topaz.rutgers.edu
Tue Apr 26 01:13:21 AEST 1988

I see no reason why you will not be able to use the SUN4 as a server,
but I'm not sure it will get you anything.  I'm not sure the I/O bandwidth
on a Sun 4 is going to be sufficiently better.  BRL runs their SUN network
with next to no SUN servers on it.  Using some Gould PN systems with Chris
Torek's ND code for the root/swap and the Gould provided NFS for everything
else works well.  Of course, the code had to be throttled back as the Gould
Ethernet interfaces will outdrive the poor Suns.

-Ron