Data compression for UNIX/DOS

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Sat Oct 15 00:58:33 AEST 1988

In article <394 at halley.UUCP> bc at halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
>In article <461 at agrigene.UUCP> overby at agrigene.UUCP (Scott Overby) writes:
>>
>>Is there any software available to compress files in UNIX, transfer it to an IBM compatible PC, and uncompress it on the PC?
>
>Mortice Kern Software, a Canadian company just across the border, has a
>software package for DOS called the MKS Toolkit.  In the version I have,
>it includes a Unix-compatible pack and unpack.  I believe the latest version
>includes a compatible compress, which should be about as good as you can get
>both for degree of compression (Lempel-Ziv) and Unix compatibility.
>It is $139US.  They advertise in places like Computer Language and PC Tech
>Journal.  My manual is loaned out, so I can't provide the number right now.

You'll find both tar and compress that will run under PC-DOS on conexch.
Call in on the XBBS number (714) 842-6348, and look in the unix file
area.  All programs are free for the downloading.  You can get a list
of the Unix/Xenix programs available by uucping /usr3/public/FILES &
/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES.  uucp access is via the unpassworded uucp
login: nuucp.  Check the signature for a Systems line.

Best regards,
Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)