Data compression for UNIX/DOS

Bill Crews bc at halley.UUCP
Thu Oct 13 13:17:59 AEST 1988

In article <461 at agrigene.UUCP> overby at agrigene.UUCP (Scott Overby) writes:

>Is there any software available to compress files in UNIX, transfer it to an IBM compatible PC, and uncompress it on the PC?

Mortice Kern Software, a Canadian company just across the border, has a
software package for DOS called the MKS Toolkit.  In the version I have,
it includes a Unix-compatible pack and unpack.  I believe the latest version
includes a compatible compress, which should be about as good as you can get
both for degree of compression (Lempel-Ziv) and Unix compatibility.

It is $139US.  They advertise in places like Computer Language and PC Tech
Journal.  My manual is loaned out, so I can't provide the number right now.

-bc
--
Bill Crews                        bc at halley.UUCP
(512) 244-8350                    ..!rutgers!cs.utexas.edu!halley!bc